Safety and health are the two most important things to consider when it comes to your pet. But what does that mean? As pet parents, how can you go about keeping your pets safe and healthy?
Thankfully, it's not too difficult. There are a few key things you can do to make sure your pet is living its best life - and here are five tips to help.
1. Provide your pet with a healthy and balanced diet and plenty of water. Not only does this mean giving your pet the appropriate amount of food, but also making sure it's high quality. And you’ll want to make sure your pet has plenty to drink by providing fresh water every day.
2. Regularly check for signs of illness or injury by providing regular health checks with a vet. Always be on the lookout for any changes that might suggest something's not quite right: an itchy bottom or feet could indicate parasites; if they're vomiting frequently or their appetite is lacking, this may be a sign of infection from bacteria like salmonella; constant coughing can sometimes mean kennel cough which needs veterinary attention quickly. Find a vet that you trust to help keep your pet in tip-top condition.
3. Spay/neuter your animal early (ideally at around six months). This is an excellent way of reducing the risk of certain types of cancer, such as mammary and prostate cancers in dogs, and reducing the pet population.
4. Provide your pet with plenty of exercise. Playing fetch or going for walks or hikes are great ways to exercise with your pet. Exercise is also a great way to give your pet some mental stimulation!
5. Get your pet microchipped. This might be the only way of identifying them in the event they run away or are taken.
6. Make sure you groom your pet. Regular bathing, trimming nails, and brushing your pet’s teeth will help you to keep an eye on your pet’s health. When you regularly groom your pet, you can check for any visible health issues.
With a little love and care, you can keep an eye on your pet’s health and safety quite easily - which is good for both of you!